Monday, August 22, 2011

Yes, No... Yes? No... Yes??

A LOT has happened in the last month or so! I just don't have the time to do entry's as my Matric year is really keeping me busy... Lets get a little background before I go on...

The first time that I sent my application form to SAAF it got lost even after they confirmed that they have received it. The second time it was the exact same story. I then asked if I could speak to someone that works directly with the application forms and was directed to Corporal Ingalo. She was the only person that actually went the extra mile to find out why my application form is not where it should be. She told me that they are a bit disorganized at the moment and that the forms just end up in places where it shouldn't. I then sent it in a third time and she immediately took it to where it should be. I phoned her every second day for at least 2 weeks to confirm that I am officially on their computers. After a while everyone actually started to know me and we would first chat a little before we actually spoke about the application forms... It was confirmed that I was chosen to attend selections but only in March 2012. Corporal Ingalo then said that she would try her best to see if she can get me into the next selection phase.

I phoned every day for quite a while to find out if she has good news. One day she did have good news and told me that she was able to get me into the upcoming September selections. I was over the moon! I spoke to our School Headmaster to find out if it would be okay if I missed a week of exams during September. He then went on to phone Corporal Ingalo to find out how everything works. (This was 2 days after I heard that I am going in September) Corporal Ingalo then told him that the military (Not SAAF) held a meeting the previous day and decided that all Matrics' applications will be postponed until January 2012 as not all the Headmasters are happy about their pupils missing a week of exams. Unfortunately she does not have the authority to single me out and give me the go ahead to attend selections.

While I was busy with this I also contacted Col. Hadfield a few times. He was able to confirm that I would attend the September selections but did not know about the military's decision to postpone it. He was working around the clock to find out what is actually going on and give me a answer but was unable to get anywhere. I phoned him again today and he told me that he will be flying to Pretoria on Monday to see whats going on. The latest news that he heard was that selections will be held during October because the Matrics need to know if they have to apply for Varsity or not. I will phone him again on the 2nd of September and hopefully get a final answer...

Yet again we play the "Hurry up and wait" game...

I recently sent a mail to EAA asking when their next meeting will be held so that I can attend it and meet some Pilots in the Cape Town area. I am still waiting for a reply though... I think that I might have a small breakthrough as I am going to meet a Pilot that lives in Hermanus somewhere in the upcoming week and maybe I could get the needed exposure. Hopefully someone would see the passion that I have for aviation and give me the opportunity to meet other Pilots... Now that I am a legal road hazard I will be able to drive to any of the events, so no worry's about transport anymore, only funds for petrol!

I also went for a eye test a day after my previous entry. The results was that I have 20/20+ vision, so I have nothing to worry about... Now I just need to get to a audiologist to see if my ears can handle the pressure!

I will most definitely try to post a bit more and keep everything a bit more up to date in the month to come. There is a lot of good things that could happen so please check back every week or so.

...Jaco over and out...

No comments:

Post a Comment