Sunday, May 22, 2011

Stellenbosch Fly In

Saturday, 7 May 2011

It's been a while since I have updated my blog. Mostly due to schoolwork and school activities I had to attend - thus I did not have the opportunity to do so. Yet again, nothing much happened in the last 2 months. The only exciting thing that did happen was the annual Stellenbosch Fly In held on the 7th of May. I didn't even know about it till 3 days before the show when I received a message on Facebook from Scott. He wanted to know if I would be there so that I could join him on a day of fun! I just had to go even though it was nearly impossible for me to arrange a lift to there and back. Soon I'll have my drivers license so I can drive myself to any airshow whenever I want - Cant wait!

I arranged to go with my brother and his girlfriend and they would stay at Somerset Mall for the rest of the day. Scott and I met at around 11am. If I can remember correctly, we started off with a chat of what has been happening since the last time I saw him etc... We just spoke about flying in general. He even tried to arrange me a flip with someone, but was unable to do so as there were only certain departure times.

Scott then bumped into one of his friends and he then took us to Paul Roos' hanger. In his hanger was (If I can recall correctly) a Chipmunk, RV - 7, RV - 8, Jabbi, PC 12 (I Think?) and... wait for it... a Audi R8! It was really awesome to see so many amazing planes, all in one hanger.

We then headed to the aircraft that was on display and Scott gave me a lesson about some fins on the leading edge and how that helps with aerodynamics and take off / landing / stall speeds. I can really see why he is one of the top rated instructors. I felt quite chuffed when I was able to easily fall in with him as I have already studied aerodynamics.

We then had a little chat about the SAAF and filled our belly's with free brownies. It was really awesome to just sit on a couch, ears being serenaded by a L-39, talking about my future... Even though I did have my camera with me, I never took any photos as I Scott and I were to busy with other things. (There is more that happened but that is just a short summary of most of the things) It was yet again, another day at a airshow to remember.

Scott and I then headed to Somerset Mall to meet up with my brother. He was going that direction anyway so I was able to get a lift with him. My brother and Scott then had about a half an hour chat (Most probably the most important half an hour chat!) You see, my brother is really sceptical and concerned about me joining the SAAF. I'm lucky to have a brother like him, because I know he just wants whats best for me. Alas, Scott was able to convince him that the SAAF is not as bad as he first thought.

It was another productive day and I just keep learning more every time I deal with something flying related. Even though I can't always be at Air Shows etc. I still try my best to build my knowledge and live out my passion for aviation. I moved to another room in the house about a week ago and I have great plans for it! I am drawing pictures of aircraft and I will frame it and put it up against my wall. I am also trying to get hold of a PC 7 Astra cardboard poster cockpit that I can put up against my wall above my study desk. I also started building aircraft models so that I can hang them from my roof... Typical boys room, but I'll never grow up when it comes to aviation!

I also realized that as I read through my previous post, how little I know about aviation. And I will most probably say the same about this post in a few months time... That's what keeps it so interesting, there is always a new mountain to conquer and something to learn!

Thats about it for now... Till next time then!

...Jaco over and out...

No comments:

Post a Comment