Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Time to get this stone rollin'!

Its been quite a while since I updated my blog and it is mostly due to exams that we wrote and also holidays! I worked very hard this term to get good results and I do believe that 5 distinctions payed off. I sent SAAF my application form with my new results and I am now (Finally) officially on their computers. Now we play the "Hurry up and Wait" game!

One night I went with my brother to a braai at a friend of his. In their lounge there was a lot of portraits of SAAF aircraft and I asked this friend where he got them. He told me that his father works at Denel and that he also has a lot to do with SAAF. I then arranged to meet with his father and have a chat.

He told me that he organises camps that young aspiring pilots can go to so that they can see what SAAF is all about. It's a 2-3 week camp and there you will experience the military life. Early up in the morning, marches, PT, Flight theory, a flip in between etc... Sounds like loads of fun! He told me that he will bring me the application forms when he is in town again.

A week later I went to pick up the forms and he had even better news! He was able to get my name into a training program at AFB Ysterplaat which is also for young aspiring pilots but this program is more flying orientated. I should be able to start with this program within the next month or two. It will happen fortnightly over the weekends. I will surely post more info about it on this blog as soon as I receive more news about it.

Now I am snooping around for a weekend and holiday working opportunity or something similar at any airstrip or flying club. It is only so that I can be exposed to flying and maybe if I someone is keen enough or willing to then I could get a flip with them. It has been waaaaay to long since I was in the air. In 4 days time it would be 8 months since I had a opportunity to fly with someone. Soon I will have my drivers license and then I will be able to drive to airshows by myself and also be able to drive to a airstrip if I am able to get a working opportunity there. I will then use those earnings to get me in the air to just experience the wonderous freedom of flight.

And now we wait... :)

I just thought that this picture is very appropriate. Enjoy! :)


...Jaco over and out...

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, Jaco! I'm a fourteen year old girl who feel exactly the way you do about flying. I'm in grade ten and am joining the Young Falcons this year! Your story really inspired me to be strong and not to doubt myself; especially when you talked about touching an aircraft. I feel that rush of excitement too. May God bless you and keep you. You have given me hope, thank you...Anonymous, over and out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger, Anominous! :)

    I'm really glad that my story is a inspiration to you. You are very privileged to be part of such an amazing group of aviation enthusiasts. I wish I could have joined the Young Falcons too but I started chasing my dream a bit too late! Always believe in yourself and your abilities, be confident and keep your chin up when things doesn't turn out like you wanted it to!

    All of the the best for your aviation path forward! Please, keep me updated on your progress as well.

    ...Jaco, over...

    :)

    ReplyDelete